Update : 13 March, 2021
The OPEN CALL is now closed. We would like to thank all of you who sent in your proposed photo projects, and it was exciting to see a late flurry of submissions right down to the last minute before midnight!
We will now collate all the projects and their accompanying images and pdfs, and we can’t wait to read through each of your submissions carefully. We may be in touch with some of you to obtain further clarification on your proposals, concepts or methodologies over the next few weeks.
We are very glad to have received more submissions than predicted, and have also greatly surpassed what we had for KL20X20 last year! Thank you to everyone who shared and promoted the open call on your own channels. We are confident the message reached a wider audience than before.
Keep following us on @exposureplusphoto
Steven & Nadirah
Co-founders EXPOSURE+ PHOTO
Update : 25 February, 2021
Friday, Midnight 12 March, 2021
There’s extra time to submit your proposals!
Many of you have recently posed questions about the process and the theme and we have answered them in our recent Instagram Live post (Please view the video @exposureplusphoto)
We are excited to announce the Open Call for Project Submissions for EXPOSURE+ PHOTO. This call is open to Malaysia-based photographers at all levels to submit project proposals that will form the core of the festival event in Kuala Lumpur, and will be exhibited to the public at multiple venues across the city in September.
As a follow-up event to KL20X20 in addition to the exhibitions, EXPOSURE+ PHOTO is planning to organise workshops, talks on photography as well as digital public screenings of international works and portfolio reviews over a 3 week period.
THEME : BELONG
Project proposals must be guided by the theme above. You may interpret the theme in its widest sense, literally or metaphorically in any photography genre, with specific reference to social and environmental aspects.
It is a word that is full of depth and meaning. It is about familiarity and kinship, power and politics, hierarchical relationships, heritage and borders, ownership and freedom, knowledge and division, and so much more. Photograph the word literally, conceptually or allegorically. It is entirely up to the bounds of your creativity. Projects may take the form of any photography formats including video.
We are seeking potential projects that will form the core of the EXPOSURE+ PHOTO city-wide exhibitions planned for September, with expert printing proudly sponsored by Canon Malaysia.
Prepare your proposals with an accompanying statement and supporting images, screenshots, sketches in pdf format. These can be uploaded using the link to the online form below.
We would only accept projects that are from traditional analogue or digital capture, with a limited amount of post processing or enhancements, including video works. Montages, multiple exposures and splicing are acceptable. Projects that are primarily digital graphic art are not accepted. We are seeking projects that have strong social interest narratives, high standards of photography and visual content.
Each project in its final edit should consist of up to 10 or 12 images.
Submission period : 16 January to *28 February, 2021 (*extended to 12 March, 2021)
Selection : Mid – End March, 2021
Project execution : April to July, 2021
Final selection, edits, prepare for print : August, 2021
HOW TO SUBMIT
Participation is free and all submissions must be received by Friday 12 March, 2021, midnight, Malaysian time. *
Please submit using this form : https://bit.ly/397mJDO
Submissions will be shortlisted and the final selection of projects will be decided early April 2021 by the co-founders of EXPOSURE+ PHOTO Steven Lee and Nadirah Zakariya.
If you have any questions please contact us at : firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to receiving your proposals!
General Terms for Successful Proposals
- EXPOSURE+ PHOTO event is a non-profit, community centred initiative, run by volunteers.
2. Successful photographers whose proposals are selected for exhibition must be fully committed to producing their projects in the allocated time scale and communicate regularly with the organisers on their progress.
3. Gentle guidance will be provided by the co-founders to provide a hands-off assistance to making progress or advising on edits prior to completion of projects.
4. Selected photographers will be responsible for executing their proposals in terms of funds for travel, materials etc.
5. The organisers will produce and print, and display all selected projects for the exhibitions.
6. The organisers, sponsors and partner locations are bound by the latest local government guidelines during the current global pandemic in terms of staging the exhibitions and public gatherings. Cancellations of public displays will be communicated as early as possible. In the event of cancellations of physical exhibitions, completed projects will be posted online as an alternative.
7. Any potential sales enquiry will be handled between the interested party and the photographer directly, subject to alternative arrangements at locations.
8. All copyright of the exhibited works remain with the photographer.